The National Ovarian Cancer Coalition (NOCC) is a nationally recognized organization with a growing coast-to-coast network of regions and markets. Our efforts are fueled by volunteers, survivors, legacy families and market managers. Together, we empower our communities through educational efforts and outreach initiatives. We embrace our legacy families as the voice of the voiceless, and advocate for survivors and caregivers by providing comfort and support through our programs and services.
PO Box 11561
Pittsburgh, PA 15238
NOCC has one vision – to live in a world where no woman loses her life to ovarian cancer. Each gift carries a unique story, and every dollar makes a difference in the lives of families affected by this disease.
To support NOCC, put your creativity and passion to work with a DIY event. Celebrate a birthday with a Facebook Fundraiser. Host a game night with friends or invite co-workers to a cycling event. The ways to engage your community and raise critical funds and awareness are limitless!
Teal Hearts Network : Survivor Peer Support Group IN PERSON – Pittsburgh Market
Help strengthen NOCC with your time
We have a role for you. Whether you can contribute several times a month, or are looking for a one-day opportunity, you will make an impact.
The Great Lakes Region is seeking volunteers in the following areas:
- Raise awareness or ovarian cancer and promote education in your community by finding and exhibiting at health and community fairs, or to civic and community groups
- Tell your story through public speaking and panel engagements
Social Media and PR
- Serve as a social media ambassador for NOCC by posting, sharing, and liking ovarian cancer content to expand reach
- Promote regional events and programming by connecting with local television, radio and news outlets
Quality of Life – Survivor and Family Support
- Provide peer support to ovarian cancer survivors and their families
- Secure new hospitals and facilities for NOCC’s Faces of Hope program in support of newly diagnosed women and those experiencing a recurrence
ROCK the Day DIY Events
- Host your own DIY fundraiser or connect with local businesses to create give-back events.
Together in Teal Run/Walk Planning
- Assist with the administrative preparation of the signature Together in Teal Walk event by helping with registration, mailing and packet assembly
- Raise money and secure sponsorship, auction items and in-kind donations
- Manage and assist in team fundraising cultivation
- Manage promotions/PR/media for the Walk
Together in Teal Run/Walk Event Day-Of
- Volunteer the day of NOCC’s signature Together in Teal Walk event.
To learn more about these opportunities, or to sign up to volunteer, please contact Ali Brush at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-400-7561
UPMC Magee Womens Gynecologic Cancer Center
Allegheny Health Network Cancer Institute
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
Allegheny Health Network Cancer Survivorship Center
Cancer Caring Center
National Rehabilitation Research and Training (RRT) Center on Family Support
Hair Peace Charities
Highmark Caring Place, A Place for Grieving Children
Names to Know
Heidi Donovan, PhD, RN
IProfessor of Nursing and Medicine
Co-Director, National Rehabilitation Research & Training Center on Family Support
University of Pittsburgh
Director, GynOnc Family CARE Center
Magee Womens-Hospital of UPMC
Heidi is a long-term volunteer both for the Pittsburgh Chapter and nationally. She sits on the Medical and Scientific Advisory Board and generously facilitates the monthly Teal Cares Network support group for ovarian cancer caregivers. She also sits on multiple committees in the Pittsburgh market and regularly helps to spread early awareness by speaking to those in the medical community about early signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer that can promote early detection.
Dr. Sarah Taylor, MD
Assistant Professor, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Services
Magee Womens Hospital of UPMC
Dr. Sarah Taylor is a GynOncolologist treating patients in the Pittsburgh market and serving as a national volunteer on NOCC’s Medical and Scientific Advisory Board.
Dr. Taylor’s research interests include targeted and novel treatments of gynecologic cancer, correlated biomarker development for defining personalized cancer therapy, and screening and early detection of gynecologic cancers.
Survivor & Teal Hearts Network Founder
Denise is an original founding member of the PIttsburgh Chapter, way back in 2000! She has maintained a leadership role those many years through committees, helping to plan our annual walk, and mentoring many dozens of newly diagnosed survivors. She founded the Teal Hearts Network support group back in 2010, long before she realized women across the country would benefit from the teal sisterhood it has fostered.
Department Lead Advanced Practice Provider
Medical Oncology Cancer Survivorship Program
Gynecologic Oncology, Allegheny Health Network
Christalyn jumped in with both feet when she got involved with NOCC in the Pittsburgh market! She sits on multiple committees and helps to facilitate networking between the NOCC and AHN communities locally. She is always on hand to help oversee the Survivor Tent at the annual walk, making survivors feel special and pampered on their special day!